55 Excuses to Get Out of Doing Something You Don't Want to
BABS, has this happened to you?
You're at the tail end of your "amazing" 9-5 work day. As you're wrapping up your days workload, you envision your evening:
You picture the kids as remotely tolerable and semi cooperative. You'll feed them, bathe them and then put them to bed with few hiccups. Your man will be distracted by something so you'll have the evening all to yourself.
You'll poor a glass of wine or brew a cup of tea. You'll cuddle up on the couch under a comfy blanket and crack open that book you've been longing to read or binge watch that show that's been on the queue for weeks.
Then it happens.
Your phone receives a notification.
It's your best friend.
"Hey, celebrating (insert unexpected kind of a big deal thing right here) tonight! We're going out for some drinks, see you there?"
Bring on the feels.
On one hand, you know you should be supportive and go out to celebrate with her. On the other hand, you're still envisioning that possible semi perfect evening and going out tonight has no appeal to you what-so-ever.
So let's say you're leaning more towards bailing on the night out with your best friend. You're going to need a good excuse.
Don't worry, we've got your back. We've come up with a list of 50 excuses to get you out of things you just don't feel like doing. We've even pulled in other moms from across the web for their best excuses.
55 excuses to get out of doing something you don't want to
- The baby is sick.
- I already have something planned with someone else at the same exact time.
- Husband made dinner plans already.
- I have a lot of work today and no spare time until it's all done.
- I have to work late tonight.
- "I have my period... and first days are always the hardest"-Raghda Salama of Baby and the Lady.
- My mother needs me to run an errand for her.
- "I don't have a babysitter."-Lashonda Marie of Boss of Virtue-The Lifestyle of Independent Parents
- The child has practice.
- I have to pick the kid up from the sitters.
- Waiting on a package and if no one is there to receive it, it'll be returned to sender.
- I'm waiting on a repair person/service representative.
- "I am sorry, but this baby inside me is trying to kill me currently." -Misty Eilar of Thifty Mama Life
- I have/the kid has a doctor/dentist appointment.
- I'm handling a family crisis right now.
- I'm not feeling well enough to be out this air.
- I'm not feeling well. I threw up earlier today.
- I think I'm coming down with something. I better stay home and rest.
- I have a headache/migraine.
- It's too cold/hot out for me.
- I'm PMS-ing and no body is safe.
- I'm not fit to be seen in public today
- "I can't go out tonight, I'm below the bed looking for sippy cups."-Kay Nicole of I Am Kay Nicole
- I have unexpected family visitors today.
- I don't have any clean clothes.
- I'm not allowed to have alcohol with this whole pregnancy thing.
- If I don't go home and cook my family will act as if they've undergone a 7 year famine.
- "I miss my husband"-Raghda Salama of Baby and the Lady.
- My car isn't working.
- My car is in the shop.
- My car has a flat tire.
- I don't have a ride and don't want to hassle anyone.
- Preparing for WWIII and the apocalypse and will be buying canned goods and water.
- A new and very important episode of - insert popular show - is coming on and I have to see what happens.
- Burst into tears and mumble indistinctly.
- "I can't go out because my son can't sleep without me. He needs by boobs. No not for milk but just to twiddle! Yes he's THREE years old!"-Keara Elam of Modern Day Black Mama
- Fall asleep and "forget" to go out.
- Claim the time doesn't work for you and try to reschedule during times you know won't work for them.
- There's no one available to watch the dog.
- It's wash day.
- I don't have any money right now.
- My weekly horoscope advised me not to make any plans this week.
- "I'm breastfeeding and my baby won't take a bottle from his dad."-Nicole Kamai of Nicole and the Couches
- I didn't sleep well last night and I need to catch up.
- I have to run errands during that time.
- I'm on a diet and I know I'll mess it up if I go.
- "My husband has to work" - Jessica Foley of Jessica Foley: A Modern Mom's Life
- I need to clean the house for a guest of my husbands.
- I don't want to put on pants.
- I want to get an early start on Christmas shopping.
- It's national Be By Myself Day.
- Error: Your message could not be sent at this time.
- Uber's increased surge is too much for me today.
- I actually want to see my kid(s) tonight.
- My body is just too tired.
There you have it. 50 wonderful excuses to get you out of doing the next thing you really don't want to do. You now have a loaded arsenal that you can use anytime.
Remember, that with great excuses, comes great responsibility. You should also know that Julia, I and the other contributing moms are not responsible for what may happen as a result from using one of the excuses on the list. Use them with caution and at your own risk.
And yes, oddly enough, this is coming from the person who gave reasons on why you should say yes to things, but sometimes, you just don't wanna.
If you have any excuses that you use regularly, please let us know in the comments below. Ya know, just incase we'll need them one day.